Sunday, March 30, 2008

Stashing on the cheap ...

I'm still sneezing and coughing, but I keep telling myself it will pass - I'm drinking a herbal tea called Yogi Tea Himalaya which is mostly ginger - it's strong stuff, and it's certainly helping. It's very warming and helps clear your head at the same time!

Yesterday, after the Hermit and I had brunch at our local cafe, I went for a browse around the shops in our neighbourhood. I'm lucky enough to have not only a general craft shop but a quilt shop within 20 minutes walk of the flat, as well as a host of charity shops, so Ith ought a walk in the fresh air and a visit to these treasure palaces would make me feel better, and I was right!

In one particular shop, I struck the crafter's equivalent of gold :o) Stash! I bought George the Giraffe (RRP £10.50, charity shop £0.79)and a Little Suzy's Zoo Card kit (RRP £6.49, CS £0.99) - both of which I will stitch for my niece. I also - because I do knit from time to time - bought a kit for making a felted bag (£0.50) and 800g of Aran yarn in a funky purple, which will be enough to make a cardigan for me (£3.50). It's always nice to have new stash, but it's even nicer when it's a bargain, and when you've helped a good cause (our local hospice) too!

I then went to the quilting shop. Nothing there can really be said to be a bargain, but she has such nice fabrics ... I bought a fat quarter of a Chinese print for backing the good luck symbol I'm making for the guys I work with, a half yard of a fabric for making a finished project into a pillow (or possibly a wall hanging), some assorted FQs (these were a bargain, 6 for £5)and three skeins of Stef Francis threads. So I probably blew all the money I saved in the charity shop, but I've told myself I needed all that I bought, and that I had projects in mind for what I got - which is mostly true! Oh, and I shouldn't really link to websites - I've just seen the special offers on Stef's website, and the kits, and the pewter charms, and the buttons and ...

Okay, deep breath, calm down.

When I got back - and after I'd shown the Hermit my stash, and he'd made the appropriate interested noises, I settled down to stitch. The Chinese good luck symbol is being stitched in half cross stitch over one group of threads on read 22 count hardanger. I'm using an odd thread I found in my stash - I think it's coton a broder - it's thicker than perle 12, and matt. It's looking very effective, but it got to be a strain as the evening got darker, stitching on quite a small scale. So, I also started my HoE pinkeep exchange piece - in fact, I started it twice, as I wasn't sure about the colour scheme - it's a freebie from a favourite designer of the recipient, but I am doing it on a lighter fabric than the designer used, so everything needs tweaking. This designer is a favourite of mine, too, so I will complete both, and then decide which one to send - it will probably come down to which one I finish best, as I've only made a pinkeep once before!

Okay, it's probably time to get back to the needle - I have a lot to do if I want to have a finished finish for tomorrow morning! Thanks for dropping by, and thank you to all who comment, it's appreciated!

1 comment:

mainely stitching said...

Congratulations on your great finds!