Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mini Cable Rib Hotwater Bottle Cover - Free Pattern!


Designer: Mini Cable Rib Hotwater Bottle Cover
Designer: me! - pattern below
Colour: Raspberry Marl (2347)
Fibre: 75% acrylic, 25% wool
Needles: UK7 (4.5mm)

I'm posting this out of order of making, as this was actually the third hotwater bottle cover I knitted for Christmas gifts. This was one I made for my mum, as a bit of a stocking filler. The yarn is nice and squooshy and very good value. The 25% wool makes it nice and soft and will insulate the hottle nicely, and the acrylic will make it durable and washable.

My mum used to knit hotwater bottle covers for us when we were children, it's nice to turn the tables!

Mini Cable Rib Hotwater Bottle Cover

You will need:
100g of chunky yarn - I used Stylecraft Life Chunky, which is 162yds/148m
double pointed needles or short circulars - I used 4.50mm, but I knit slightly loosely, you may want tomove up to 5.00mm or 5.50mm
crochet hook - 4.50mm approx to make cord - or a length of ribbon
blunt ended needle for sewing up.
stitch marker
large hotwater bottle

Instructions:

Body:
Cast on 56 stitches, and join in a circle, being careful not to twist. Use stitch marker to indicate beginning of row.
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: *Knit 2, Purl 2, repeat from * to end of round
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: *Knit 2 together, don't slip the stitches from the needle but insert needle between the stitches and knit 1, Purl 2, repeat from * to end of round

Rows 1-4 form pattern repeat.

Repeat pattern until you've reached the shoulder of the hotwater bottle - mine needed 64 rows. If you haven't finished on a knit row, then knit one row. This sets up the eyelet row and frill.

Eyelets and frill:
Row 1: *Knit 2, Yarn Over, Purl 2, Yarn Over, repeat from * to end of round
Row 2: *Knit 2, Knit 2 together, Knit 2 together, repeat from * to end of round
Row 3: *Knit 2, Purl 2, repeat from * to end of round
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: *Knit 2 together, don't slip the stitches from the needle but insert needle between the stitches and knit 1, Purl 2, repeat from * to end of round
Row 6: Knit
Row 7: *Knit 2, Purl 2, repeat from * to end of round
Row 8: Knit
Cast off - this can be done knitwise or in rib.

Darn in end at top. Sew bottom seam using a mattress stitch.

Make tie cord by crocheting a chain about 50cm (20 inches) in length. Weave through the eyelet holes. Insert hotwater bottle and tie cord to secure.





3 comments:

Cathy B said...

Nic, you sure have been busy with knitting and stitching! I love to see all of the various socks you have made!

Unknown said...

A hot water bottle cover, hummmmm, I don't believe I have seen a hot water bottle in about 30 years or more, grin. I use electric heating pads. Nice pattern though, BarbM

Anna van Schurman said...

Here's a question for you. Are hot water bottles mostly a standard size? I keep seeing patterns for covers, and I know they'd make great presents for my inlaws, but we don't really have HWBs in the US. Thanks!