Sunday, December 27, 2009

Feather and Fan Scarf



Design: Feather and Fan Scarf
Designer: unknown - from Ravelry though.

Yarn: Wendy Happy
Colour: Taurus (2507)

Fibre: 75% bamboo, 25% nylon

Needles: 5.00mm (I think)

This scarf was made to cover that tricky spring period where it can be quite chilly or draughty but not enough to need a woolly ... It took exactly 100g (420m) of yarn, so it was pretty economical too. And if I get bored with it, as I'm not sure about the colours, I will rip it back and make it into a pair of socks! It does drape beautifully and is wearing well.

I was knitting this one afternoon when I went to my parents for lunch. My mum - herself a knitter, she was the one who taught me after all - at first just thought I was knitting a plain scarf with this self striping yarn and then noticed the pattern. And she laughed. Not normally the reaction my knitting, I have to say - and then she explained. Her grannie (my great grannie) was also a knitter - which I knew. Apparently, she used to use this pattern to knit everybody stripy scarves - whether they wanted one or not - using up her odds and ends of yarn, and almost always alternated with beige! I was quite touched actually - and I think Ma was too - to think I'm carrying on a bit of family tradition!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice pattern, I do believe I will have to get some bamboo yarn and try it on a shawl. BarbM

staci said...

Love that story about your Granny and her scarves :) That scarf looks perfect for when you need a lighter one.

I've got some sock yarn I've been meaning to knit into a scarf (to match my mitts) and I've been thinking of doing either feather and fan or a ripple.

JOLENE said...

What a fun story about your Grandma. I think this scarf is pretty and the colors are so unusual but I really like them. Don't rip them out.....the scarf is perfect.

DonnaTN said...

What a neat like to your Granny! You do lovely knitting. I'm not a knitter, but my mom was. You are so versatile in your projects.