Sunday, December 27, 2009

Purple Penguin - Casey Buonaugurio



Design: Purple Penguin
Designer: Casey Buonaugurio, from the 2009 JCS Ornament Issue
Threads: DMC as charted
Fabric: 14 count aida, pink
Finished: Flat ornament, beaded edging and hanger

I've started a tradition where I always make my niece, The Tot, a Christmas ornament. And it's always cross stitched. This year, Tot is besotted by pink, with purple a close second. My sister even bought Tot a pink Christmas tree of her very own - as Sis is quite strict that her Christmas tree is red, gold and green :o)

So, when I saw this cute little purple penguin, it was a must stitch! I had some pink aida lurking in my stash (I'd been given it by my cousin, I hadn't bought it!) so I thought I'd go for the full girly effect!




I personalised the back of the ornament with my niece's name and a little charm, before outlining in backstitch as I was going to whipstitch and bead the ornament closed.

The lilac beads and ribbon were also in my stash - I love having stash, it makes me feel very blessed and it also means when I'm on a roll, I don't need to break off and go shopping!



The beaded edge is simple, but time consuming. However, I think it was worth it, it really adds something to the finished piece.

3 comments:

riona said...

I am sure the Tot thought this a beautiful addition to her pink tree.

Myra said...

So cute! I know she loves it!

Unknown said...

how adorable, I wish I had seen the book, I know she was well pleased with it. BarbM