Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cortina Socks



Design: Plain Stocking Stitch Socks
Designer: Based on Regia leaflet socks, with heel from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Cortina (from Lidl Supermarket)
Fibre: 75% wool, 25% nylon
Needles: 2.5mm DPN

Last year, my second ever pair of socks was a Christmas gift for my dearest friend. This year from OCtober onwards she started dropping hints she'd like another pair ...

My friend requested 'dark, plainish socks - black, brown or grey' - and this yarn, snaffled at a bargain price from a discount supermarket chain seemed to fit the bill - it was plain enough for her, but not so plain I was going to be bored to death with it. There was no way I was going to knit plain black socks! The yarn is a little rougher than Regia et al, but it worked up quite nicely and I think it will get softer with washing.

I don't think they are going to be worn for a while yet - on Christmas Day my friend flew out to India for six weeks, but I know she's taken them with her for her arrival back in the UK, as February is always freezing!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Warning!
I just machine washed a pair of socks of the same yarn (Cortina from Lidl) at 40 degrees.
They shrinked and felted totally and I believe others have had the same problem.

sorry to spoil your day, but throw away the yarn or use it for smth you want to felt.

Tine