Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cable Scarf - Free Pattern Here :o)

Design: Cable Scarf
Designer: Various sources gave inspiration for the pattern, below
Yarn: Stylecraft Life Chunky, Cream 2305. 75% Acrylic, 25% Wool
Needles: 5.5mm


This was knitted to go with the mitts below for my sister for Christmas. Fortunately, the length was a nice length as I just used the yarn left over from the mitts with another 100g ball. The yarn is pretty nice for a cheapo - the 25% wool gives it a good texture and loft.

Edited to add: If you feel so inclined, a donation to the MS Trust for this pattern would be appreciated. Pennies will do - and you can make payment via the link in my sidebar or by clicking here.


Chunky Cable Scarf

(edited 25/12/09 to correct typo and to expand instructions a little)

You will need:
  • about 150g of chunky yarn, depending how long you want the scarf - I've used the James Brett Marble Chunky and Stylecraft Chunky with good results. One full 200g ball of Marble Chunky made an over 9ft long scarf...
  • a pair of knitting needles. Tension isn't important - I've used 5.5mm and 6.5mm needles for these scarfs, but bear in mind I knit loosely.
  • a cable needle
Abbreviations:

K = knit
P = purl
C8F = cable 8 forward (slip 4 stitches onto a cable needle and hold in front of work, K4 then K4 from cable needle)


Cast on 24 stitches

K 8 rows

Start pattern:
Row 1: K4, P4, K8, P4, K4
Row 2: K8, P8, K8
Row 3: K4, P4, K8, P4, K4
Row 4: K8, P8, K8
Row 5: K4, P4, K8, P4, K4
Row 6: K8, P8, K8
Row 7: K4, P4, K8, P4, K4
Row 8: K8, P8, K8
Row 9: K4, P4, K8, P4, K4
Row 10: K8, P8, K8
Row 11: K4, P4, C8F, P4, K4
Row 12: K8, P8, K8

Repeat these 12 rows until scarf is at required length, or you're running out of yarn. If you are a bit of a perfectionist, you might want to end on a Row 10 so that the scarf is symmetrical ...

K8 rows

Cast off

Darn in ends. Block as the garter stitch border has a tendency to fold in.

This pattern is offered for personal, non-commercial use only. Items made from this pattern may be sold on a small scale basis such as on Etsy or at craft sales. Sales for charity are positively encouraged! This pattern and the text and photos contained within, may not be copied or reproduced for any purpose other than personal use. Please direct people to this blog rather than forwarding the pattern, thank you! Copyright 2009 N M Wray

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ack! I was so excited to knit this but then started the pattern and it doesn't execute well. The first row says to finish K8 but I think it's supposed to say K4. Also, I am lost on what to do after I repeat rows 1 & 2 four times...does that take me to row 6 or 8? Either way I don't get to row 11.

What am I doing wrong? This scarf looks lovely and I want to knit it!!! :)