Wednesday, September 02, 2009

August Review and September Goals

here are my goals for August:

  • Clapotis - Kate Gilbert - I finished this and felt less than enthusiastic about it. Until I actually started wearing it. The fabric drapes wonderfully, and it's just right in terms of warmth. A friend even spotted me the other day because she was drawn to the Clapotis first ...
  • Mini Cable Socks - I'm on the foot of the first one, but I've just realised - just as I'm supposed to be shaping the toe - that I've made the foot narrower than it should be. I need to check whether they will still fit, as 4 stitches off could be too many.
  • Neat Country Stuff - Homespun Elegance - Happy Happy Dance! It's done! It's even at the framer's. I found a nice frame at a charity shop, again, and the framer is going to stretch it and cut a mount .
  • Striped Baby Sweater - Sirdar - Finally sewn up. My estimate of an hour was rather optimistic - it took six goes to fit in one sleeve!
  • The Big Knit - Smoothie Bottle Hats - I'm working on these in odd moments, as a little hat takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, including sewing up.
  • Poetry Society Letter - completed, blocked and ready to mail
  • By The Sea Exchange - mailed and received
  • Prairie Schooler Exchange - mailed and received
  • Birthday something for The Hermit. This did turn out to be an MP3 sleeve, as the player itself could not be attached to a lanyard although to be fair, I used a piece I'd already stitched.
I had quite a productive month, as I also completed:
  • Several Beaded Scissor Fobs, to give away with future exchanges
  • Striped Baby Hat 
  • Striped Baby Mitts
  • Striped Baby Bootees - can you see a theme? My friend for whose baby I've made these for is known for being a fan of stripey things!
  • Derbyshire - Heritage Stitchcraft. Happy Happy HAPPY Dance! This was one of my oldest UFOs. I know I bought it on  visit to my parents when I was living at the other end of the country. I've babaeen back here for 11 years, I bought it at least 2 or 3 before then! I can't say it was the most enjoyable thing I've ever stitched - Heritage kits have a lot of unusual fractionals in them - and it's not really my style. I think I bought it because I was homesick...
I also had a Finishing Weekend, where I completed the following, which can all be seen earlier in my blog:
  • French Country IV Pumpkin - JBW Designs - framed by me so it's now ready to display
  • Easter Cracker Sampler - Bent Creek - also framed
  • Bird in Tree - Historic Needlework Guild - made into a pinkeep
  • Alphabet Ribbon Sampler - Historic Needlework Guild - another pinkeep, which I then sent to  stitching friend
  • Winter - Trail Creek Farm - Scissor Fob, just for a change
  • Miniature Sampler - Cathy Bussi - Pinkeep - this dates back to 1996, so it deserved to be finished into something!
  • Hardanger Square - Mary Hickmott - what a surprise, I made this into a pinkeep, with fabric underneath the design to show off the voids
  • A Merry Tree for Thee - Full Circle Designs - I made this into another pinkeep!
  •  Merry Stitching - Elizabeth's Designs - why break the habit, yes, you've guessed it, I finished this as a pinkeep too!
Actually, I'm astonished at what I achieved last month, although I admit I did take a week's break from working. This month is not going to be anywhere near as productive, as work is going to be very hectic, I have taken on another freelance role and there will be some training for that, plus the new semester at University starts. I will need to do some crafting, just to keep my sanity, but apart from exchange and charity deadlines, I'm going to concentrate on the process, not the results ...

Goals for September:

  • Friends Through Threads Exchange - I know what I'm going to stitch, just need to get cracking!
  • Hooked on Exchanges Fall Needleroll Exchange - still planning this one. I have a couple of Shepherd's Bush charts that would do, but they aren't quite right ...
  • Stitch on one kitted chart - this will be She Gathers, by 4 My Boys
  • Stitch on one UFO
  • Stitch on one kit
  • soKnit more smoothie hats for The Big Knit
  • Work on the New England Stole
  • Keep to a stash diet - buying only threads and trims needed for the pieces I'm working on
Hopefully, this will see me through some potentially stressful moments ahead!

1 comment:

Lana said...

These look like some great goals!!! Good luck! You did a great job on your August goals!!