Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Revealed!



I laughed with pleasure when I found out what poem my knitted 'N' was part of. It's a poem that means quite a lot to me, I studied it for A Level and my renewed passion for literature and language because of this poet's work pushed me towards my degree and all the life changes I've made since... and of course, the title of this blog is from a work by the same poet...

So, without further ado ...

 In My Craft or Sullen Art

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art.

Copyright Dylan Thomas.

I haven't spotted my letter yet on any of the pictures I've seen so far, but I'm hoping to see it in person when it goes to Manchester. 




1 comment:

riona said...

Dylan Thomas - isn't that grand?