Wednesday, May 28, 2008

And breathe ...

I've been a bit quiet on the stitching front, as it's the end of my semester at Uni. Fortunately - because of the nature of my course - I don't have end of module exams, but I do get assignments to complete, and the one for my American Literature course just wouldn't come together! There were so many different avenues I could have explored even within one essay title - and did, in my research! - I had trouble narrowing it down. And then when I did, I narrowed it too far and needed another 400 words so had to expand it again LOL. Anyway, everything is done and submitted. Unfortunately, the lecturer won't actually be marking this essay anyway. Her brother was very recently diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour, and the prognosis is not good. And if that wasn't enough, last week her father was diagnosed with cancer of the gullet and it's inoperable due to his age - and the suspicion is that it's already metastasised to his kidneys. We were unanimous as a class that Karen should spend some quality time with her family rather than with our assignments. She's a great person, and a fantastic teacher, and this is just so sad for her.

Saturday I took some time off as it was my dad's birthday, and my uncle was on a flying visit from the USA. We all (Aged Parents, Uncle, me, The Hermit, Sis, Bro in Law, The Tot) went out for a lovely lunch at our favourite pub/restaurant in the Peak District and then had a wander round the 'plague village' of Eyam - very picturesque, but the history behind it is so sad. My dad loved the cushion I made for him - it was a UFO that had to be at least ten years old, I remember working on it when I lived in Sussex, and I moved back to Derbyshire in 1998!

As well as feeling smug about that, I also managed to finish all my May goals, despite the essay crisis, so I'm going to go and polish my halo...

No comments: