Thursday, April 15, 2010

Requiem for a Mezzo - Carola Dunn


With dashing Scotland Yard detective Alec Fletcher at her side, Daisy Dalrymple is enjoying a splendid performance of Verdi’s Requiem featuring her neighbour Muriel Westlea’s celebrated sister, Bettina. But the show comes to an abrupt end when what emerges from the star’s gifted vocal chords is literally a dying gasp. Daisy soon learns that the doomed diva was notoriously difficult and had more than her share of enemies. There’s a philandering tenor, a burly Russian bass and even her own vocal coach husband, with whom she had a turbulent relationship. Did one of them poison the singer? Or was it someone determined to see that Daisy’s investigation ends on as bitter a note as Bettina’s last performance . . . 

 Another good mystery with a period feel, this is even more convoluted than the last one I read, but no less fun for that. I'm warming to Daisy, and I think Alec is great...

The author contributes to a blog here, for anyone interested.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this looks like an interesting series. Reminds me of Kerry Greenwood's Phyrne Fisher books, which I've enjoyed. I'll have to check them out!

Sadie said...

Hi Nic, I was just wondering if you still had the Travelling Stitcher chart. I am awaiting patiently to see if she might like to travel to see me at some point :-)
sleepback @ yahoo . co . uk