Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tin Topper Finish





Design: Needles and Scissors (adapted)
Designer: The Victoria Sampler - a freebie available here

Threads: DMC

Fabric: 28 count linen, R&R Reproductions, Light Cocoa


This is not my usual style, I have to say. And not my usual finish- I did it as this month's challenge over on the Monthly Finishing Challenge Blog. There is rather too much glue involved for one of my finishing methods ;o) but it worked out okay. I adapted the lettering on the original design as I thought about giving this to my sister - I know for a fact she doesn't own a needle ... but with a mother and a sister who have hundreds, why should she? LOL. The other modification I made was to the hardanger section - instead of cutting and weaving in dove's eyes, I just stitched eyelets. Cheating? yes, but it looks good!

I think there's a bit too much 'bling' and fussiness for my taste but for what it is, I'm pleased with how it turned out, and the braid does hide the raw edges and such. The fabric is some I've had in my stash for years, I think it goes very well.

The base has a small padded 'cushion' so the stamps don't stick to the bottom. I think if I was making another one, I'd make the base a bit bigger.

I'm glad I did it, just not sure I'd do another!

3 comments:

Marci said...

This looks nice, but I've never felt the need to stitch one either. (How many topped tins does one need anyhow?)

I actually went x-stitch shopping while my Mom was visiting last month -- and on Friday I was out surfing some of the online shop sites. I think I'm getting the itch to stitch again.

Sonda said...

Nice job...I've got to hustle and get mine done tomorrow! Loved your HOE freebie stitching!

Sally said...

Your tin looks lovely Nic:)