Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Alphabet - Historic Needlework Guild


(The piece is actually straight, this is just a bad scan!)

I bought this kit from eBay a while ago, and stitched it on Saturday whilst listening to the 20/20 Finals day on the radio. Cricket commentary and needlework are an excellent combination, as I don't switch off my hearing so much when stitching, which I tend to do when either reading or sitting at the computer - this took me about seven hours all told

As per the last HNG kit I stitched, hoop positioning was a bit of a pain, as the fabric was cut very small and to stitch the borders I had to keep moving the hoop - I hate that!

I stitched the design pretty much as charted, although I changed the Queen Stitches (which I hate doing, they're very fiddly) to Diamond Rhodes stitches - much quicker, plus they give a nice raised texture!

The design has been finished on the chart picture as a very fancy small cushion, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it - it certainly won't be anything so girly - it will probably just be framed and hung with the rest of my traditional style sampler collection.


Design Details

Fabric: 28 count linen, antique white
Threads: unknown stranded cotton plus gold metallic
Designer: Alice Okon
Kit Details: Alphabet, Little Exquisites Collection by The Historic Needlework Guild (c) 1997
Stitch Count: 66H x 66V
Stitches Used: Cross Stitch, Algerian Eyelet Stitch, Diamond Rhodes Stitch
Threads Used: unbranded stranded cottons in seven colours. Two strands used throughout. Metallic thread used in one strand blended with one strand cotton
Embellishments - Sterling silver heart charm
Modifications Made: Diamond Rhodes stitches substituted for Queen stitches.

No comments: