Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bird in Tree


I bought this kit from eBay a while ago, and stitched it early this year. I've only just got round to pressing it and scanning it though!

It was quite straightforward to stitch, although hoop positioning was a bit of a pain, as the fabric was cut very small - I hate that in kits!

There is supposed to be a silver heart charm attached over the pink heart, but I've decided to omit that. The birds and the heart were also supposed to be stitched "over one", but as there was no fine detailing - the stitches were done in blocks of four - I stitched "normal" cross stitches over two! I also substituted Rhodes stitches for eyelets, as I find them easier.

The design has been finished as a flat fold needlebook, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it - I may even try to frame it to go with the collection of the traditional style samplers I have in the bedroom.


Design Details

Fabric: 28 count linen, antique white
Threads: unknown stranded cotton plus gold metallic
Designer: Alice Okon
Kit Details: Bird In Tree/Love Birds, Little Exquisites Collection by The Historic Needlework Guild (c) 1997
Stitch Count: 71H x 59V
Stitches Used: Cross Stitch, Satin Stitch, Rhodes Stitch
Threads Used: unbranded stranded cottons in ten colours. Two strands used throughout. Metallic thread used in one strand blended with one strand cotton
Modifications Made: Silver heart charm omitted. Over one charted areas stitched over two. Rhodes stitches substituted for Algerian eyelets.

No comments: