Sunday, August 12, 2007

Winter Peace - Sisters and Best Friends


I finished the stitching on this one in January 2007, but put it away as I didn't have the charms needed to complete it. Unfortunately, when I took it out again, I left it too close to an uncapped ink pen, and there was a black ink stain about 5mm across on it! Disaster! Especially when the ink didn't budge after two washes and Stain Devil treatment!

However, I raided my box of embellishments, and found the four snowflake buttons pictured - and one of them (guess which one...) covers the stain pretty effectively!

The colours on the scan are a bit duller than in real life - the effect is actually quite pretty, and wintery without being Christmassy. The fabric was one I had in my stash - it was quite a grubby cream/pale tan with greyish bits in it, I can't remember where from! The greyish bits also help disguise the remnants of the ink stain!

I enjoyed stitching this, but all the white on the snowman seemed to take forever!

I will probably finish this as a small banner as I have some nice hand dyed quilting cotton from Silkweaver that I think would co-ordinate well with this.

Design Details

Fabric: 28 count evenweave, colour unknown
Threads: Gentle Art Sampler Threads, DMC
Designer: Sisters & Best Friends
Chart Details: Winter Peace - SBF12 - Sisters & Best Friends (c) 2003
Stitch Count: 59H x 115V
Stitches Used: Cross Stitch, Back Stitch, Algerian Eyelet, Straight Stitch.
Threads Used: DMC 310, 3609, White. GAST Hyacinth, Butternut Squash, Cornflower, Pine, Avocado, Sugar Plum, Morming Glory. Two strands used throughout for cross stitch, one and two used for back stitch and straight stitch
Embellishments: Four snowflake buttons
Modifications Made: Substituted buttons for recommended charms. Omitted French knots on one snowflake.

No comments: