Friday, August 31, 2007

Tartan Thistle Needlebook - Textile Heritage


Of course, being half Scottish, I have to stitch the odd thing which reflects my heritage ... haggis not being terribly attractive, I have a few thistles lurking in my stash...

In real life, the colours are really nice, and although they don't immediately say "Scotland" to me, they were nice to work with.

The design is much simpler - and quicker - to stitch than it looks, as long as you follow the instructions and construct the framework first!

The instructions called for the cross stitch to be done in three strands, but I find that looks terribly chunky, plus it's a pain to get twelve strands into one hole - I like stitching to be smooth and quick, not a tug of war! So I did it in two, and it looks fine to me!

The piece will be made into a needlebook, but I have reservations about the making up instructions included in the kit - has anyone done any Textile Heritage needlebooks like they say?

Design Details

Fabric: 14 count aida, white
Threads: unknown stranded cotton
Designer: Lesley Clarke
Chart Details: Tartan Thistles Needle Case - Textile Heritage (c) 2002
Stitch Count: 45H x 45V on each piece
Stitches Used: Cross Stitch, Back Stitch, Satin Stitch
Threads Used: unknown stranded cotton in dark purple, mid purple, pale purple, green, turquoise, grey.
Embellishments: None.
Modifications Made: Cross stitch and some back stitch done in two strands, not three.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This will be a lovely needlebook. Very pretty. Sorry I haven't done a textile heritage kit, when I finish a piece I ususally just make things up as I go along!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.