Thursday, January 21, 2010

Finish or Fling? - Floral Sampler (Blackwork)



 I've tried to find a picture of the kit online, but it seems to be discontinued. Anyway, this is a blackwork sampler that looks a bit like an Elizabethan knot garden in layout. For someone who doesn't like doing back stitch on their cross stitch work, I'm quite fond of doing blackwork, and have done two *big* samplers and a couple of smaller ones.

Pros:
  • I really like the design
  • No colour changes!
  • Will fit on with my collection of other samplers

Cons:
  • Quite a lot of work to do on it
  • Needs a lot of concentration

So - Finish or Fling?


Verdict: Finish. Will probably end up dying the fabric with tea afterwards, as the white is a little dazzling.

2 comments:

riona said...

I love blackwork as well but haven't done any big pieces ... I admire your dedication. As to the white being dazzling: isn't traditional blackwork supposed to dazzle? Black on white with small touches of gold metallic, as in Elizabethan times? Not that I normally promote being a slave to tradition ... but sometimes my love of history overcomes my individualism.

Unknown said...

Glad you are going to finish this one, I love blackwork, but another thought is to do a sampler on black fabric with white thread. To this purpose (since I had some black linen) I happened to get a great deal in a used book store on a book of blackword, with about 200 small designs to be used for samplers, now to find time to 'fit it in' to my needwork schedule, grin. BarbM