Monday, March 22, 2010

Finish or Fling? - Time and Season Sampler


Although the date on this says 1994, I know I started it earlier. I bought it with some gift money from my gran at a lovely (now closed) needlework shop in Chesterfield called Brailsford and Way, and I thought it was pricey at the time.

It's worked on 18 count aida, and if I was buying this now, I would ask for this to be subbed out for evenweave or linen. In fact, this isn't so much a "Finish or Fling?" post as a "Finish or Start Over?" - I've been dithering over this for a decade or more and still can't decide. If I restart it, it will be a huge piece, because I would use 28 or 32 count and it's 18" x 12" already... hmmm, some maths tells me 28 count over 2 would make it 23" x 15" (58cm x 38cm).

I've also been stitching it with 2 strands of thread, which I wouldn't do now on that count. However, my stitching life is a journey, and lessons are learned along the way so ...

Pros:
I adore the design as much now as when I bought it
The motto is one - despite it's origins - I love
It will be a spectacular focal point for my wall of samplers
It's kind of symbolic of my stitching life

Cons:
Aida cloth
Using two strands of thread, difficult to get neat
A long way to go

So - Finish or Fling?



Verdict: I really don't know. Starting over wouldn't be hugely costly in the scheme of things as this is a heirloom piece (hopefully - The Tot will need to be taught to appreciate such things LOL) but there's been a fair bit of work done already...

Can I have your thoughts and opinions of this, please?

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

It looks nice on the aida.
It looks like you are about 1/2 way done, I'm not sure I would start over at this point.
I would probably try and finish it.
It's lovely!
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hmm, tricky one. What you've done so far does look really lovely. It depends whether you'd be happy working on the Aida with 2 strands now, or whether it would put you off stitching on it?

Personally, I would probably start over, even though there's a lot of time and effort gone into it so far, because I know I wouldn't enjoy stitching on it as much as if I used linen and the correct number of strands. Maybe someone would adopt your WIP if you took that route?

Hazel said...

I'd just finish it off on the aida as it looks nice and once framed it will still look nice. I did another Moira Blackburn one on aida and to be honest it was a really quick and lovely stitch and everyone admires it. Just think of it as an easy stitch and a quick one to finish. You have enough projects on linen so why not have one on aida just as a change?

mainely stitching said...

I have to say I'd also consider finishing it unless it would truly drive you nuts to work on Aida. It's a lovely piece, and Moira's samplers show up on Aida a lot. I've got two of her designs, one is started (but hiding) and the other is kitted up and waiting patiently. ;)

Kathy A. said...

It is such a beautiful piece. My choice - new fabric. I don't think you will be happy with it as it is. There is no rule that says it has to be finished at any particular time. The joy is in the journey.

Anna van Schurman said...

How far are you along on this? If more than halfway, I'd have to say keep it up. Not everything needs to be stitched on linen!

Jen BK said...

There is so much work already done....I would finish it and use it as a reminder or how much I have evolved as a stitcher. It is for too lovely to scrap and starting over seems too arduous.

Jules said...

I would have to say FINISH! You've already done so much work, why start over?!

Lynette said...

I have this piece hanging on my living room wall (finished in 2004). Like you , if I started it now I would never stitch it on aida but since you have so much done already I think I would finish it off. It will really be worth it as it looks gorgeous when finished!

Veronica said...

If it deters you from wanting to stitch on it, I'll opt for switching the fabric and starting over. Stitching is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime. No point stitching on something you don't entirely like, in my opinion, no matter how much work you've put into it. Hope my two cents helped :)

Felicity said...

Would you like me to finish it for you? I've never offered to stitch for anyone, but if you'd like, I'm happy to do it for you. Then you could hang it on your wall and enjoy your efforts & the friendship that went with it, Nic. Felicity

Shay said...

it is a gorgeous piece...you are almost done..I would stick with it and finish. It seems like your almost done.