Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Dance! - The White House

Design: The White House
Threads: DMC (I think, no credit given in kit)

Excuse the grubby mark on this, I was so excited to have it finished I didn't wash it before I took the photo. The mark did come out, by the way...

I bought this little kit in the mid 1990s, and worked on a bit of it - I don't have a huge tolerance for French/colonial knots. Then it was put away, I worked on it some more when I moved North, and then lost the thread organiser with the threads on it. And Rowandean, although they produce fantastic quality kits, don't identify their threads by brand/colour number. And being basically lazy, I never got round to matching the work I'd done with my DMC collection, until recently. Once I'd done that, it took less than an hour to get this finished, despite even more French/colonial knots ...

As this looks a little like the house on my Spirit of Scotland piece, I will probably frame this and hang it adjacent to it. I'll get a biggish frame and get my framers to cut a suitable mount to show it off - the stitched area is only 3.25" x 2.25"

Although I like this - and Rowandean designs in general - I find the freestyle nature and lack of order hard to deal with sometimes. I must be more of a neat freak than my home would suggest!

5 comments:

riona said...

I think the piece is quite lovely ... and I love French knots ... in fact, I often put them where they weren't originally charted ... for example, when I stitch a sheep on an ornament, stocking or other small piece, I almost always stitch the entire body in French knots because I think it looks much more like a sheep with a full fleece ... of course, I could easily be wrong as I was born and bred in Brooklyn NY and, as a city kid, can't say I have seen many sheep.

Anonymous said...

Nice finish Nic!

Kathy A. said...

Whohoo, one down - how many to go? LOL

Tracey said...

Beautiful!!

Else M Tennessen said...

This is beautiful.