Monday, March 22, 2010

Update

I had a lovely weekend. I went to Nottingham to meet with some fellow Bookcrossers, and we had our usual fun and frivolity! We do talk books - some of the time - but mostly we're just silly and laugh a lot! After a little light shopping, I went to see my friends Claire and Andrew. Both are writers, and Claire writes a column for Let's Knit, in which our knitting group sometimes makes an appearance. I have to confess the best stories aren't necessarily fit for publication ... ;o) Claire shared some of her recent projects with me, whilst I cracked on with my latest project. I've bought a book called 200 Knitted Blocks - although the title is misleading, as over 80 of them are just different colour variations. It's still a good book, and it will help make a serious dent in my double knitting stash, as I create some cosy blankets!

Then yesterday, I went with Sis and The Tot to visit my Aged Parents. I had a good chat with my dad - he's still a bit down over his heart trouble, but I know that he's really trying not to dwell on it. With the nicer weather and some holidays planned, he will feel better. The Tot is a great distraction, and it is hard to keep a straight face when she's around - she says things in such a serious way, but they are side splittingly funny sometimes. We were on our best behaviour though - last week, she'd to tell off her mum and her Nanna for talking with their mouths full... My parents garden is beginning to look spring like - the bulbs over the guinea pig graves were all blooming, and there's frog spawn in the pond. The Tot was going "Look at the *wonderful* flowers" - they were a distraction when she was jumping on the "bounce-oline" - the mini daffodils are just the right size for someone who is nearly four... I'm going to have to find another name for her soon, as she's really turning into a little girl and not a toddler.

The Hermit stayed home because he's been feeling a bit off balance lately with a change in some of the many medications he has to take. So he prepared dinner for when I got back - barbecue potato wedges, yum! All the better for being made with spuds one of my uncles has grown. And I came back yesterday with some eggs from my Uncle G's hens. I am going to do nothing but lightly scramble these because they are the best, most delicious, eggs ever. This is because his hens are the most spoilt chickens in the world - Uncle G. turns over a spit of ground every day for them to have something fresh to dig about it - and they reward him with eggs packed with flavour! If I ever get a house of my own with a garden, I'm going to want chickens...

I didn't do the stitching I had planned for the weekend, as I'm at the honeymoon stage with my the blanket blocks. You know how it is with a new project... And the blocks aren't terribly photogenic right now, as they need blocking. So, because a picture-less post isn't as much fun, have you seen the latest LHN release?


I am going to HAVE to have this, as I visit Nottingham so often, and have walked many times in Sherwood Forest. Then of course, Little John is buried relatively nearby to where I live ... and some stories have Robin called "Robin of Loxley" (or Locksley) - and Loxley is now a part of Sheffield ...

I hope you all had a great weekend. And thank you so much for the comments - I appreciate them all, especially on the "Finish or Fling" posts!

5 comments:

Marci said...

Nice - I like the Robin Hood design. And you educated me - I didn't know Loxley was part of Sheffield now. I might have to get this one myself - when I can buy again.

Irene said...

Sounds like a full and fun weekend. I ordered Robin Hood yesterday, love the design.

Carol said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Nic!

That is the first I've seen the Robin Hood pattern--I can see why it is a definite "must buy" for you :)

mainely stitching said...

I want chickens, too. Convince my husband, please!!!

Love the design. Just splurged on The Library, which was simply a must have. :)

Shay said...

I just love the Robin Hood design