Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Dance! - Blue Tit


Design: Blue Tit
Designer: from a chart in Cross Stitcher
Threads: DMC as charted
Fabric: 14 count aida, pale blue

When I pulled this out of my stash, I thought it was actually finished, and I was about to make it into a birthday card for my dad. It was only when I caught sight of the chart that I realised the poor little bird had nothing to perch on.

It took me longer to pull the two shades of floss and thread my needles than to actually complete the stitching ... and now it is definitely ready for making up into a card!

Fortunately, my parents are not as superstitious as my gran's old neighbour. Mrs Parsons would not allow ornaments or even pictures of perching birds inside the house (so no robins on Christmas cards!) - she claimed they were unlucky. Is that a common superstition? I thought it was quite amusing, given that Mrs P kept a budgie for many years ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom was always pretty superstitious, but I never heard heard mention anything about perching birds! She did, however, have a thing about willow trees being unlucky and refused to have one in the garden :)

Cute finish!

Anonymous said...

OK, that should have been "heard her", obviously...

Marilyn said...

It looks nice Nic.
I never heard of that superstition!
Marilyn

Jane said...

I've never heard of it either. He is very pretty and will make a lovely card

Hazel said...

I know Jayne from Jayne's Attic is highly superstitious of birds of any kind and won't have them in the house. That would waste a lot of gorgeous charts in my opinion lol. Love your finish. Well done. x

riona said...

My Mom is another who is quite superstitious ... no birds in her house either ... neither stitched nor ceramic nor any other medium. But the particular superstition that drives me nuts is her absolute fury when my husband removes his baseball cap [he always wears one] and places it on a table ... for some reason you can place a hat on a hook, a chair or even on the floor ... but a hat on a table means there will be a death in the house, at least according to Mom.

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm really a teenaged boy at heart. I'm still laughing at "perching tit."

Karan said...

Sweet finish. My Mum wouldn't have any bird pics or ornies in the house either, because they were considered bad luck.