Thursday, March 18, 2010

Gather The Flowers - Helen Philipps

Design: Gather The Flowers
Designer: Helen Philipps, from the book The New Cross Stitch Sampler Book
Threads: DMC as charted
Fabric: 28 count linen offcut, cream
Embellishments: Mill Hill seed beads

I have heard from Ronel that she has received this piece I stitched for a Friends Through Threads exchange, so I can now share it with you all!

I've always wanted to stitch this little piece, as I thought it was very sweet, and when I read Ronel's likes and dislikes included pansies, I went straight to the book and started pulling the threads! The chart in the book is a colour chart, and looked a bit more restrained than this - I did wonder at first what on earth I was doing, but the palette does work. I did change the lettering from black to the dark green/gray colour though, and cream stitches were replaced by beads (the model had been stitched on darker fabric). I also left off the other backstitch.

The finished piece had to be a pinkeep, so I used some nice bright fabric to back it, and to keep the contemporary feel going.

I really enjoyed working on this, and I'm so pleased Ronel likes it!

10 comments:

Jane said...

I'm not surprised she likes it, it's beautiful, really pretty

Sally said...

Oooh I like that. It's very pretty.

Kathy A. said...

That is a lovely little piece and you made a sweet little pinkeep.

Marthann's Musings said...

Oh it is perfect. So cute. Know she will love it. You are so talented.

Myra said...

So pretty! The pinkeep finish is perfect.

Blu said...

It's a beautiful pinkeep and the design is so sweet!

Cindy's Stitching said...

this a very pretty piece.

Shay said...

this is beautiful...i just love the pinkeep...I think this weekend I should be adventurous and do a finish such as this...maybe

Karan said...

Lovely pinkeep - lucky recipient! :0)

Helen Philipps said...

I was delighted to see how you've stitched and made up this little design of mine from my first book!
I liked it when I originally made it as a pincushion and I really love your pretty pinkeep version too.
I've just started a crafts blog and would love you to visit it sometime at http://helenphilipps.blogspot.com